Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Words Count With Mama Zen


Celtic Triquetra via Pinterest

Hello, hello, hello!

Toads, the number of the day is three. Throughout time and across cultures, the number three has been held as significant.  Religion (the Trinity), visual arts (the rule of thirds), and Wicca (the three-fold law) are just a few examples of the widely held view - "onme trium perfectum"- that perfection comes in threes.  

With that in mind, let's explore the rule of three as it relates to writing.  It's pretty simple, really.  Three is more satisfying to a reader than two.  Three stanzas, three adjectives, three examples of something . . . three paragraphs, three elements, three rhymes . . . see what I mean?  Play with the rule of three in any way you like . . . just keep it to 90 words or less.

9 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Great challenge, MZ!

Unknown said...

HI!! Three is my luckiest number!! The first poem i wrote on the number three was when i was 12! it was longer than 90 words.... here is my more "grown up " version within the 90 words... I hope you njoi it1!! thank u for the lovely prompt!!

Magaly Guerrero said...

The number three (along with 13 and 28) is one of my favorite numbers. It has charm, I think. ;-)

Jim said...

Seven is my lucky number. When picking a number for our race car we had to us 88 as 7 and 77 were already taken.
That makes 88 my favorite also. I guess 7 + 8 + 8 = three numbers so I might be okay?

Don't worry though, my poem contains a set of three Senryū's, each set being a three line 'stanza'.
..

Susan said...

Hi! I found the sevenling in Kerry's poem and the illustration at your link to the Latin phrase, "omne trium perfectum." To Wit, this is a found poem--but it's half the required size. Grin. Great prompt, MZ.

Fireblossom said...

I am working on something for this. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mz--cool prompt. k.

Margaret said...

Thank you! It felt so good to play at poetry again!

Hannah said...

Thank you for this challenge, Mama Zen! Doubled it up with my challenge this time. :)