Thursday, November 2, 2017

Get Listed: November Edition

A few years ago, I stumbled upon a gem of a book by Sandford Lyne titled, "Writing Poetry from the Inside Out:  Finding Your Voice Through the Craft of Poetry." The Poem sketching technique Lyne suggests gives wide enough girth for both birthing and growing poems. I copied 10-12 pages of his word list groups from the back of the book to get me through a few years of writing.

For this Get Listed edition I ask you to create your own brief creation. Keep it to under 100 words (I have a short attention span). Choose one of the word groups (using all 4 words) I've listed below to insert into your brain child, being mindful to choose the word list that fits the best with your mood/theme/personality of your unique poem on the topic of your choice.

pencil                  Creator                  desires                November                 nightmare
orphan                 pity                       night                   layers                         frost
book bag             tomorrows            flesh                    stone                          ruts
tank                     winds                    poems                 throat                         awoke


And, if this seems backwards... try reversing the sequence by first choosing one of the word groups, and then letting a fresh poem spring forth from...  well, from a metaphorical loin-place.

I can only suggest that there's no right or wrong way to poem. I can however, offer limited guidance and encouragement in sharing what's worked for me, while reiterating that no two poems are alike in personality or voice.


Good luck sketching, honing, and naming your beauties. Can't wait to meet/read them. And please do check in on all your fellow poets.




17 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for your very interest prompt Angie.
A Happy Thursday to everyone

much love...

Anonymous said...

I chose the more seasonal and think this is what your prompt required - just kept it under the readable with 96 words! thanks for the inspiration Angie - was feeling a bit stuck

Marian said...

Angie, thank you for this! Really nice lists.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Loved the prompt, Angie!💞 Sharing my poem 'Of poems and misspelled wants'.. Happy Thursday, everyone!💞

Angie said...

I love the Get Listed prompt because it showcases the amazing creativity we have swimming around in the pond here! I will be checking in throughout the day, but so far, so good! Happy November everyone. Reading your words with a glass of warm tea is already decidedly my favorite part of this day. Happy poeming...come back for seconds, or thirds if you like (I might be loosening you up for Thanksgiving). :D

Fireblossom said...

Lafayette, I am here.

hedgewitch said...

I also love the get listed challenge, angie and I've used a group of your list words in my 55--it will post tomorrow.

brudberg said...

Hope to add mine soon... wrote another poem with November (By coincidence or timing) but I will get a new one done.

tonispencer said...

I love doing lists poems and doing a poem from a list is most excellent. Thankyou!

Susie Clevenger said...

Great prompt Angie!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love your approach, Angie. Sorry to have been out of it, but I had an emergency trip to the hospital again this week.. I still have lingering health issues - 2017 has not been my year.

Angie said...

@Kerry, I'm sorry about those lingering health issues...but your poem about leaving only love is what will linger with us for the last entry. Perfect. Thanks.

Kim M. Russell said...

Thank you for a great range of lists to choose from, Angie. I really enjoyed this prompt.
Kerry, I had trouble commenting on your poem , which I love, and could only 'like' it.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thanks, Kim. I did notice a problem with loading the comment view yesterday... Blogger... sigh

Sanaa Rizvi said...

@Kerry; I was able to comment just now!💞

Marian said...

Kerry! Sending so much love! Gah!

Frank J. Tassone said...

An intriguing prompt, Angie! Thanks!