Sunday, April 29, 2018

Fireblossom Friday : This Is (Almost) The End

It's day 29 of NapoWriMO, and I want to offer congratulations to all who have made it this far, and to all who have tried. 

This isn't the end, but the end is just around the corner. That's what I'd like us to write about.

Sometimes, the moment just before something ends is as poignant as the actual ending. One could write about the Twin Towers on 9/10, with business going on as usual, never knowing what the morning would bring. Or, one could keep the focus much smaller, and write about a love affair about to end, but which hasn't actually ended just yet.

"When your rooster crows at the break of dawn,
Look out your window and I'll be gone.
You're the reason I'm traveling on.
Don't think twice, it's all right." --Bob Dylan

In the above example, Dylan's character hasn't left yet, but knows he's about to.

"Don't look so sad. I know it's over,
But life goes on, and this old world will keep on turning.
Let's just be glad we had some time to spend together...
There's no need to watch the bridges that we're burning."
 ---Kris Kristofferson "For The Good Times"

Here, a man talks about life going on, but a bittersweet ending is about to happen first. 

Maybe you'd like to write about the winding-down of a great performer. In 1935, baseball legend Babe Ruth had been let go by the famed New York Yankees, and was playing out the string with the lowly Boston Braves. The Babe was old and fat and knew the end was near. But one day he went out and hit three home runs in a game, one of which was one of the longest he ever hit. It wasn't his final game; he appeared in a handful more, without remarkable result. But for that one day, he was like the candle that burns brighter just before guttering out.

So let's write about almost-endings. Endings that haven't happened yet, but are surely close at hand. No restrictions on length or form, but do make it a new poem.
 

14 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

Interesting prompt

Much🌼love

Anonymous said...

It's a very appropriate prompt Shay. I took to the sea.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Well, that took me somewhere unexpected! (But not unknown.) Thank you.

Kim M. Russell said...

I found my inner pioneer for this one!

Kerry O'Connor said...

A tiny little poem from me.

Brendan said...

Head then heart responded to this challenges. Apologies for the doubledip, Kerry's contribution put me right there.

Fireblossom said...

Brendan, no apology needed for too much bounty.

brudberg said...

Hello... I'm on a rush to the finishline... loved the prompt but I had to go out running to find inspiration.

hedgewitch said...

Great prompt, Shay. Wish I had something but the well is dry for me today.

Anonymous said...

Winding down the hands, before stopping the clock.

Thanks for the rich prompt to mine Fireblossom, days, minutes before ....

I feel like I'm both implosion/explosion ... so just a little "lighter than my usual" (kind of, sort of ... well, whatever - I'm gonna go eat an apple)

Happy Almost There everyone!

grapeling said...

Shay, at B's suggestion I post this, but if you don't think it fits your prompt, wield the ban hammer ~

tonispencer said...

A most appropriate prompt that took me to the end of a long relationship. Bittersweet.

Frank J. Tassone said...

Evening, fellow garden dwellers! Thanks, Shay, for this inspiring prompt! See you all around the pond!

Margaret said...

I am playing late... been so busy with family stuff but wanted to participate as I like the idea of this prompt - had a few other ideas but had to write quickly and the other ideas needed more time.